There is nothing like Egg Salad Sandwiches on a family picnic or just a quick snack. They are tasty and easy as sin to make. This recipe is made with hard-boiled eggs, celery, red onions, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper between two slices of bread and lettuce.
Table of contents
- Ways to Make an Egg Salad Sandwich
- The City of Quincy, Massachusetts
- How to Make This Recipe for Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Other Recipes That Will Go Well With Egg Salad Sandwiches
Ways to Make an Egg Salad Sandwich
The two common ingredients to make egg salad are always present are eggs and mayonnaise. It is also made with a variety of other cold foods added. Bacon, bell pepper, capers, cheese, cucumber, onions, lettuce, pickle relish, pickles, and ketchup are common additional ingredients.
How to Store Egg Salad
Egg salad can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Do not freeze egg salad because eggs tend to become tough and rubbery. Mayonnaise also tends to break down causing a watery consistency. So do not freeze your egg salad.
History of the Egg Salad Sandwich
Humans have been eating eggs since before we discovered fire to cook them with. Picking wild grain, grinding it down into flour, and baking it taught humanity the need for agriculture and inspired a revolution. Then in the late 1700s, the French invented mayonnaise and I am sure soon after someone put hard-boiled eggs chopped up and mixed with mayonnaise and seasoned with salt and pepper on bread.
Egg SandwichesTHE BOSTON COOKING-SCHOOL COOK BOOK
Chop finely the whites of “hard-boiled” eggs; force the yolks through a strainer or potato ricer. Mix yolks and whites, season with salt and pepper, and moisten with Mayonnaise or Cream Salad Dressing. Spread mixture between thin slices of buttered bread prepared as for Bread and Butter Folds.
By Fannie Merritt Farmer
The City of Quincy, Massachusetts
Quincy is a coastal U.S. city in Norfolk County, Massachusetts. It is the largest city in the county and a part of Metropolitan Boston as one of Boston’s immediate southern suburbs. Its population in 2020 was 101,636, making it the seventh-largest city in the state.
A Brief History of Quincy, Massachusetts
The Massachusett were a Native American tribe that lived in the region and around present-day Greater Boston in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The name Massachusett comes from the native American word for “At the Great Hill,” referring to the Blue Hills overlooking Boston Harbor from the south.
In 1625 a British party led by Captain Wollaston established an outpost on a low hill near the south shore of Quincy Bay. The area was first incorporated in 1630 and was briefly annexed by Boston in 1634. Following the American Revolution, Quincy was officially incorporated as a separate town named for Col. John Quincy in 1792, the grandfather of Abigail Adams, and was made a city in 1888.
Tourism in Quincy, Massachusetts
Fascinating historic sites abound, while miles of coastline capture the imagination with their enchanting beauty. Culture and commerce blend to create an impressive array of things to see and do year-round. The New Quincy Center (downtown) which is among the largest urban revitalization efforts anywhere in Massachusetts, encompasses a total of more than 50 acres of mixed-use development in the heart of one of America’s most historic cities.
Massachusetts Cuisine is characterized by extensive use of seafood and dairy products, resulting from its historical reliance on its seaports and fishing industry, as well as extensive dairy farming.
– Featured Restaurant –
Bay Pointe Waterfront Restaurant
64 Washington Ct, Quincy, MA 02169
Nestled inside Bay Pointe Marina in Quincy, on the South Shore of Massachusetts, Bay Pointe Waterfront Restaurant sits on the docks amongst the boats and alongside the bay, offering a spectacular New England backdrop for both innovative and traditional fin fare fresh from local markets.
How to Make This Recipe for Egg Salad Sandwiches
We have spruced up Frannie’s recipe for Egg Sandwiches by adding a few extra ingredients to give it a big flavor.
What You Need to Make Egg Salad Sandwiches
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
How to Cook Egg Salad Sandwiches
Time needed: 35 minutes
How to Cook Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Boil the Eggs
In a large saucepan, cover the eggs with cold water and bring them to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and cover it with a lid and let stand in the hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel, and set them aside.
- Chop the Eggs and Vegetables
Cut the boiled egg in half and remove the yolk and place it in a mixing bowl. On a cutting board, chop the egg whites, celery, and onions into small cubes and set them aside.
- Mix and Season the Egg Yolks
In a mixing bowl with the egg yolks, stir in the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper until well mixed and smooth.
- Mix the Egg Salad
Gently fold in the egg whites, celery, and onions until well mixed and set aside.
- Build the Sandwich
On a slice of bread lay a few leaves of lettuce. Place a layer of egg salad and top with more lettuce. Cover it with a second slice of bread and serve with french fries and a chocolate milkshake.
Egg salad is easy and makes the perfect side dish for lunch or stuff it between two slices of bread for sandwiches – everyone loves them!
Egg Salad Sandwiches
Please Rate this Recipe
Boil the Eggs
- In a large saucepan, cover the eggs with cold water and bring them to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and cover it with a lid and let stand in the hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel, and set them aside.8 eggs
Make the Egg Salad
- Cut the boiled egg in half and remove the yolk and place it in a mixing bowl. On a cutting board, chop the egg whites, celery, and onions into small cubes and set them aside.¼ cup celery ribs, ¼ cup red onion
- In a mixing bowl with the egg yolks, stir in the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper until well mixed and smooth.½ cup mayonnaise, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp lemon juice, ¼ tsp sweet paprika, ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper
- Gently fold in the egg whites, celery, and onions until well mixed and set aside.
Build the Sandwich
- On a slice of bread lay a few leaves of lettuce. Place a layer of egg salad and top with more lettuce. Cover it with a second slice of bread and serve with french fries and a chocolate milkshake.8 slices sandwich bread, iceberg lettuce
Other Recipes That Will Go Well With Egg Salad Sandwiches
- By Taste The World Cookbook – Copyright 2022 All rights reserved.
- By Nacho Hot Dogs – Copyright BY
- By Max Youmans – Own work, CC BY 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=67160536
- By Sswonk – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8239568
- By Antony-22 – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=79278829
- By Daderot at en.wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=18003379
- By Sswonk – Own work, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6828818